Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Alabama sheriff's deputy: 'I cried so much, I don't have a tear left'



(NECN: Samson, Ala.) - A Geneva County sheriff's deputy lost his wife and 18-month-old daughter yesterday to an Alabama gunman on a rampage. In all, ten people were gunned down across two Alabama counties.

"I cried so much yesterday, I don't have a tear left in me," says sheriff's deputy Josh Myers.

Authorities say the gunman, Michael McLendon, killed his own relatives and shot apparent strangers and police before killing himself.

Geneva County sheriff's deputy Josh Myers says his team was "not even equipped to handle two people killed in a homicide, let alone ten."

"I'm so proud of the guys I work with, everybody handled everything great. I really want to thank the guys who did everything they could," says Myers.

The bloodshed began when McLendon burned down his mother's house in Kinston -- according to officials.

"I'm never in my life going to be able to fully understand it. Just going to have to take it one day at a time. I need help from my friends and my family. I need everyone's prayers. I just don't know what to do," says Myers.

Myers also has another daughter in the hospital with a gunshot wound to her leg. She is believed to be in stable condition.

Police have not commented on a possible motive.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, who needs another reason for why guns should no longer be allowed except for professional use like army and police?

America, wake up!

Anonymous said...

Josh Myers, my heart breaks for you. I cried when I read this cowardly madman murdered his family. I cried even more when I heard he murdered your little innocent girl & wife. My prayers for you & all involved in this horrific tragedy. Stay strong, sir. Mama & Corinne are most certainly with Jesus now. :(

-richard, 30, husband & father

Anonymous said...

From the immortal words of the NRA, guns don't kill people, people kill people. Let's have more guns out there!!!!

Anonymous said...

You will be in our prayers, many blessings.

Anonymous said...

Stay strong, Josh. I don't even care about motive, and no one who does something as heinous and vicious as this attack should be excused as a "madman". This was entirely premeditated. I'm usually upset that these types of animals commit suicide because they deserve to be caught and relentlessly tortured to death.