Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Rev. Lowery Released from Hospital



ATLANTA (MyFOX ATLANTA) - The Reverend Joseph Lowery was released from a local hospital Monday afternoon after a health scare. The civil rights icon was hospitalized Sunday after falling ill at an Atlanta church.

"I'm hoping to get a good night's sleep tonight," said Reverend Joseph Lowery.

Lowery was back at his southwest Atlanta home Monday after an overnight hospital stay.

"I guess I overdid it. I forgot my age, preached a little too long, a little too hard," Lowery said.

At age 88, the civil rights icon still keeps a busy schedule. In January, Lowery delivered the benediction at the presidential inauguration at President Obama's personal invitation.

On Sunday, the reverend was the keynote speaker at Ebenezer Baptist Church's 123rd anniversary. Dr. Lowery gave the church's congregation quite a scare when he fell ill after delivering a sermon at the church Sunday afternoon.

"After the service we were down front signing papers and taking pictures and shaking hands with the congregation and all of a sudden I felt lightheaded," said Rev. Lowery.

Lowery was admitted to Emory University Hospital in midtown where doctors ran a battery of tests.

"They came up with the fact that my blood pressure had got a little low, they adjusted my medication and sent me home," Lowery said.

Lowery was released from the hospital Monday afternoon. Dr. Lowery said he was overwhelmed by the outpouring of support he received.

"I'm thankful for all the concern, the caring expressed by you and all the people across the country and glad they found out I'm going to live a few more hours," said Lowery.

No comments: