Monday, April 20, 2009

MMA Top 10 Light Heavyweights: Shogun Moves Up, Liddell Moves Out


My new list of the Top 10 light heavyweights in mixed martial arts reflects the changing landscape after UFC 97, with Shogun Rua moving up and Chuck Liddell moving out.

I'm sorry to see Liddell go, but at this point I don't think there's any point in ranking him because I think it's probably safe to say he's no longer an active mixed martial artist. Even if I were counting him as an active fighter, I don't think he'd be in my Top 10 anymore. Shogun is now in my Top 5, and I'm very excited to see what he does next. Top 10 below.

Top 10 Light heavyweights in MMA
1. Lyoto Machida
2. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
3. Rashad Evans
4. Forrest Griffin
5. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
6. Dan Henderson
7. Keith Jardine
8. Wanderlei Silva
9. Luiz Cane
10. Renato Sobral

Note: I'm counting Dan Henderson and Wanderlei Silva as light heavyweights because their last fights were at 205 pounds, even though Henderson's next fight is at 185 and Silva's next is at 195. I'm also counting Rich Franklin as a light heavyweight because that's where his last fight was, although he's not in my Top 10. If I were counting Franklin as a middleweight he would have been on the Top 10 middleweights list.

No comments: