Friday, July 17, 2009

D Wade Dumps Converse For Nike’s Brand Jordan Endorsement

Posted by Juan

“I want to go global. It’s something I feel like I have to do. I want to continue to build my brand.”



That’s right kids…time to throw out those old D-Wade Converse sneakers, cause your boy is going to the Evil Empire. Today, star Miami Heat point guard, Dwayne Wade announced that he’s switching sneaker brands to Nike and will be wear the Brand Jordan/ Jumpman label joining fellow athletes Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony and Derek Jeter. Finalized Thursday afternoon, the terms of the deal were not released, but it is believed to a match the remaining three years on the Converse contract.

A move from Converse seemed invitable after Wade was rarely seen rocking the most recently released signaures shoe, the “Wade 4″ last season instead choosing to rock the older model. The departure is clearly a big hit for Converse who had been trying to reinvigorate the company’s once-thriving basketball business with Wade as its biggest athlete.

Despite having three years remaining on his deal, Wade jumps ship to the 12-year-old Jordan Brand owned by Nike (which also owns Converse.)

Wade originally inquired about switching to Jordan before the 2008 Beijing Olympics over concerns about Converse’s long-term viability in the basketball marketplace.

“I didn’t want to be in the Converse brand anymore because it seemed like they didn’t know what to do with me,” Wade told the AP.

But was the move perhaps motivated by something more, more business and marketing related? Already donning an endorsement résumé which includes T-Mobile and Gatorade, Wade said “I want to go global. It’s something I feel like I have to do. I want to continue to build my brand.”

Well there’s certainly no better brand to align yourself with those lofty goals than Nike and of course the greatest player that ever lived.

“I grew up on the south side of Chicago idolizing Michael Jordan and have worked hard to achieve the same success that he’s had on the court,” Wade said. “I have enormous respect for this brand.”

So what does his airness think? “I’m thrilled to have Dwyane Wade join the Team Jordan family,” Jordan said.

Wade teased the announcement late Thursday via his Twitter feed to which Tennis Star Andy Roddick speculated that he might have signed a contract extension or the Heat acquired Carlos Boozer.

No comments: