Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Winfrey: Houston Interview 'The Best I've Done'

Oprah Winfrey is in full promotion mode for her two-part season premiere on Sept. 14 and 15 featuring Whitney Houston, who gives her first sit-down interview since battling back from substance abuse.

“I think it’s the best interview I’ve ever done. But I guess you’re supposed to let other people say that about yourself. I can’t think of a moment, ever, when I had a stronger connection to the person I was interviewing,” Winfrey said in a statement to "Access Hollywood."

“My approach to this interview was to not be judgmental in any way, and not to go in trying to get her to say things to make a ‘moment.’ I just wanted to be able to have an honest conversation with her. One woman to another woman," she continued. "And the day of the interview I literally prayed about that all day long. I just wanted a connection between the two of us. And that is what happened.”

According to "Access," Houston "brought down the house" on "Oprah" with an emotional performance of “I Didn’t Know My Own Strength” from her new album “I Look To You,” which is expected to debut at No. 1 on the Billboard charts."

“I think whether you liked or loved Whitney Houston before you will certainly have a deeper appreciation for what she has been through as a human being,” Winfrey continued. “And I mean, the fans are just going to love her even more.”

Clive Davis and Houston's daughter Bobbi Kristina appear with Whitney on the two shows.

Meanwhile, thousands of fans showed up to Michigan Ave. in Chicago Tuesday for a public taping celebrating the 24th season of "The Oprah Winfrey Show."

At press time, the Black Eyed Peas, Rascal Flatts, Jennifer Hudson, James Taylor and magician Criss Angel were expected to perform.

Winfrey's Harpo production company said it would cover all costs for police, paramedics and sanitation at the outdoor taping. Chicago Mayor Richard Daley has supported the undertaking, saying it will give the city global exposure and create jobs.

No comments: