Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Brandon Jacobs is frustrated


Maybe New York just doesn't know what to do with a drama-free, 5-0 football team that hasn't been tested in three weeks.

But the relative struggles of starting running back Brandon Jacobs is receiving a lot of attention. Jacobs admits he's getting frustrated with his play and the criticism he's hearing because of his 3.55 yards per carry average this year despite a soft schedule of late.

"I'm just being patient and trying not to get frustrated," Jacobs said. "Frustration is very close up on me, I'm going to be honest, I'm going to tell you that."

There have been suggestions that Jacobs hasn't hit the hole as hard as previous years, but I haven't noticed that consistently when watching Giants games. The holes may not be as big as previous years.

"I get the ball, I get in there, I'm supposed to run smack dead into somebody and I get criticized if I don't do that," Jacobs said on ESPN Radio in New York this week.

"Right now my stats aren't very good, and people want to know why. Well that's why. I have the ability to make plays with my feet, but when I try to, it's the worst thing, I'm scum of the Earth when I do that, so I go ahead and do what I can do."

Jacobs clearly hears the comparisons that are being made to Ahmad Bradshaw, the team's backup who leads the team in rushing yards despite 42 fewer carries and leads the league in yards per carry.

"Ahmad is more, he can bounce around in those little creaks and cracks that he gets and make a lot of big plays," Jacobs said. "Do I have the ability to do that? Yes. But if I try to, I'm wrong if I try to make plays like that because I'm 265, 275 pound, I'm not supposed to be doing that. Hit it up in there, go in and hit somebody, that's what people want to see me do. If I don't do it, I get criticized, if I do do it, I get criticized. I can't win."

Even teammate Antonio Pierce said recently Bradshaw has turned into "one of the more complete backs in the National Football League."

Jacobs, who isn't great on passing downs, doesn't fit as easily as Bradshaw in New York's suddenly explosive passing attack. But the Giants are still fourth in the league in rushing yards, and seem unlikely to give Bradshaw the starting job because of his size.

Having rabbit ears isn't the best trait for a star in New York, but Jacobs' frustration is a sign that he's passionate about turning things around.

If this is the biggest problem or controversy the Giants can come up with, they are doing pretty well.

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal

No comments: