Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Griner dunks, No. 8 Baylor routs Jacksonville State


Becomes 7th woman to dunk in a college game

- For Baylor freshman sensation Brittney Griner, it was just another dunk. Something she is used to doing.

Except for an audible "Yes!" when she finally slammed one down for the eighth-ranked Lady Bears, the 6-foot-8 Griner was pretty nonchalant when she became only the seventh woman to dunk in a college game with a one-handed slam Tuesday night in a 104-45 victory over Jacksonville State.

"Sometimes I'll dunk, I get pumped up. Sometimes I really don't feel the dunk. I'm real particular on my dunks," said Griner, who dunked routinely in high school. "If I slammed it two-handed, I probably would have gotten more riled up. ... I got more excited on the blocks."

But this was the first dunk by a collegiate female since Tennessee's Candace Parker on Feb. 3, 2008, against Kentucky. Parker had a record seven dunks in her college career, and is the only woman with two in a game — a mark that Griner appeared to have chances to match though she didn't get a chance to attempt any more.

Griner missed one-handed dunk attempts in each of Baylor's previous two games. This time, she converted on a set play about 5 minutes into the game, getting a lob pass from Kelli Griffin and slamming it home to put the Lady Bears (3-1) ahead 17-3.

No comments: