Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Is Michael Vick One of the "Top 10" Quarterbacks in the NFL ?


Michael Vick wants to be a starter next season and believes that he can be if the Eagles decide to trade him during the offseason. Oh, and he still thinks that he’s a top 10 quarterback too.

From the Philadelphia Inquirer:

Vick, who will turn 30 in June, then went back on his previous statement about returning as a backup. “As I think about it now, getting back to your previous question, it would be fairly hard [to return to the Eagles as a backup],” he said. “I know I can play in this league. I know I still have a lot of games left in me. I can be improved and be in shape and have an opportunity to go play somewhere else in the league. I’m just being optimistic and hoping that things work out in my favor. To be honest, I do want to play.”

Vick, who noted how difficult it was to play “sporadically” as he did last season, was asked by Patrick where he ranks among current NFL quarterbacks. “I still feel like I’m among the top 10, to be honest. I’m confident in my skills,” Vick said.

While you have to appreciate his confidence, I think Mikey is being a little unrealistic. I would take Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Tony Romo, Carson Palmer, Brett Favre, Donovan McNabb and Eli Manning over Vick in a heartbeat, and I wouldn’t hesitate to take Matt Schaub, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan and Vince Young over him either.

That said, he’s better than Trent Edwards and Marc Bulger, so as a fan I would be intrigued to see what he could do as a starter in either Buffalo or St. Louis. Maybe he’ll get the opportunity in one of those cities next season.

No comments: