Monday, March 8, 2010

Black Professor Becomes Major Media Entrepreneur


If you are a black scholar in America, then you probably know about the work of Dr. Lee Jones. Dr. Jones is the founder of the largest organization of black male PhDs, The Brothers of the Academy. He has also spun his amazing organizational skills into the creation of Inspire Magazine, one of the strongest and fastest-growing publications in America.

AOL Black Voices had a chance to catch up with Dr. Jones:
1) Tell us about your career path over the past 15 – 20 years.

First let me say that I have been truly Blessed to have the opportunity to live within my purpose. I am doing exactly what I want to do, which is to serve and provide inspiration. I have met my Purpose in Person! I have enjoyed a very peaceful career in higher education thus far. I started as a Hall Director at The Ohio State University and moved up as Coordinator of the Mentoring Program, Director of Retention, Executive Assistant to VP of Business Affairs and adjunct professor before leaving Ohio State. I went on to Washington State University, where I served as Director of The Office of Multicultural Student Serves and Assistant Professor in Educational Leadership. It was at Washington State University, where we started Your Voice TV Show. After leaving WSU, I accepted a job at Florida State University as Associate Dean for Education and Associate Professor Educational Leadership and Policy Studies. I earned tenure at FSU. I also served as Executive Producer and Host of Your Voice TV. After leaving FSU, I accepted job as Dean of The School of Graduate Studies and Full Professor of Educational Leadership. Currently I am Professor, President and Executive Editor of InSpire Magazine! I have just started producing and hosting B-InSpired Talk Radio www.binspiredtalkradio

2) You created Brothers of the Academy, the largest organization in America for Black Male PhDs. Why did you create the group and how has it evolved through time?

Brothers of The Academy holds a special place in my heart. The organization was conceived by many people. I was selected as the first president to develop, nature, and cultivate the organization. We developed the organization with idea to nurture and cultivate collaborative scholarship among African American males in higher education. We were hoping to entice African American men to see the obtainment of advance degrees as a conceivable goal. We also wanted to assist brothers in obtaining tenure on their respective university campuses. As president emeritus, I am proud when I travel across the country and see brothers who are still a part of the organization and to know that we assisted in some small way with their success.

3) Why did you start Inspire Magazine? What is Inspire all about?

InSpire Magazine has been a long term goal that I thought about in the early stages of my career. I was tired of picking up magazines and seeing images that were degrading and stories that sensationalized peoples' pains and sorrows. I know that there is a market out there for people who want to hear and read about inspirational things that are going on in the world. I am not a complainer, so I started my own magazine! We have some very positive people who work behind the scenes to make InSpire what it is. We have received VERY positive comments from our readers and supporters. You may visit our website at www.inspiremag.org Additionally, we have series of other initiatives under the auspices of our parent company: InSpire Enterprise, LLC:

InSpire Us Foundation
ILEAD Institute
Be-InSpired Publishing
InSpire Attire
InSpire Film
Your Voice T.V.
B-InSpired
Talk Radio
Etc.

4) You have a film coming out. What's the nature of the film and where can readers find it?

Yes. The movie is called "Let Your Haters Be Your Motivators" - LetYourhatersBeYourMotivators.com. This is a movie that actually derived from a speech I wrote back in 2006. I was going through a very trying time. I had just lost my oldest sister as well. This particular speech was one of my most requested speeches. I had no desire to develop the speech in to a movie, nor did I know a thing about producing movie. Well after God spoke to me, I called some friends and colleagues in New York and California and they gave me a crash course. The movie speaks to "haters" of which all of us have, who try to devalue you and your accomplishments. It is really a teaching movie. It points out the Haters, their motives and their behaviors. It also teaches those who are being "Hated On" how to deal with them. The trailer to the movie is on our website.

5) You are a powerful motivational speaker. What are the topics you tend to address?

Thank You! I do not consider myself a motivational speaker. Motivational speaking implies that you are going to make someone responding a certain way that they otherwise would not have done. I actually think that is quite presumptuous. While people introduce me as a motivational speaker, I am more of an Inspirational Speaker, In fact I have been given the undeserved title as "King of Inspiration." Some of my topics include: If You Are Not On The Way, Then You Are In The Way! The Consequences of Being Trifling! What is Your Word Worth! When Leadership Calls, Will You Be Ready? Just Enough Is Not Good Enough, etc. You may visit my personal website at AboutDrLeeJones.org.

6) What are your plans for the future?

My plans are ordered by God. While I lead a highly visible life with being a Professor, TV and Radio Personality, Magazine Owner, National Orator (speaker), and servant, my life is pretty simple. I just simply want to serve and make a contribution. I have been in leadership positions all my life-from captain of my little league baseball team to CEO and President of InSpire Enterprise, LLC. I know a little about how difficult is to lead, especially leading people who, they, themselves do not know who they are. I know what it means to lead a group of people who want to be led. I know what it means to lead people who are thirsty for leadership. I have been very Blessed in that regard. So, my plans are to keep leading and keep serving!

7) Is there anything else you'd like to share with our AOL Black Voices audience?

Yes. I believe that each person living has been placed here for a purpose. Unfortunately 94% of all the people we meet will spend most of their time talking about what they are going to do, what they should have done, why they did not do it, etc. The other 4% of the people we meet due to their physical and/or mental alignment are not in a position to do what they really want to do. But, there are 2% of the people you will meet who will spend their time doing what the other 94% of the people said could not be done. I want to simply ask, are you a 2percenter? Now, Go Meet your Purpose in Person!

This profile was done by Dr. Boyce Watkins.

No comments: