Monday, May 10, 2010

Eric Holder and the administration on international terrorism

By Jarrett Rush

While he was on the Sunday morning shows trying to sell his Miranda rights limits for terror suspects, Attorney General Eric Holder said something that surprised me.



I'll put the quote here in a second, but first need to say that I didn't see the shows so maybe the way he said the following could potentially change the way others have interpreted it. Anyway, here's what he said and my reaction.

"We're now dealing with international terrorists, and I think that we have to think about perhaps modifying the rules that interrogators have and somehow coming up with something that is flexible and is more consistent with the threat that we now face."

He said that, according to The New York Times story I read, on Meet the Press. And here's what struck me. He used the word "now" twice, like this threat from international terrorists is something new. Next year will mark the tenth anniversary of Sept. 11. There was an attack at the World Trade Center years before that. Is the administration just now realizing that there is a threat of international terrorism?

No comments: