Friday, September 10, 2010

James Franco Would Admit if He Were Gay


James Franco Would Admit if He Were Gay
 By Amy Grindhouse.

 James Franco covers the latest issue of The Advocate, though he’s not wearing jaunty glasses so you’re free to skip this and re-read the Daniel Radcliffe Out magazine post if you’d like. In the issue, excerpts below, the actor talks about why he’s happy to play gay characters where others in Hollywood might shy away, his guest role on General Hospital, and why he would or would not have personal motive to come out as gay and the affect it would have on his career.

  • On whether he’d admit if he were gay: “Sure, I’d tell you if I was. I guess the reason I wouldn’t is because I’d be worried that it would hurt my career. I suppose that’s the reason one wouldn’t do that, right? But no, that wouldn’t be something that would deter me. I’m going to do projects that I want to do. Everyone thinks I’m a stoner, and some people think I’m gay because I’ve played these gay roles. That’s what people think, but it’s not true. I don’t smoke pot. I’m not gay…”
  • On why he chooses to portray gay characters: “In this history of cinema, there are so many heterosexual love stories. It’s so hammered, so done. It’s just not that interesting to me. It’s more interesting to me to play roles and relationships that haven’t been portrayed as often.”
  • On how nothing would have stopped him from doing ‘Howl’: “You want to know what my agents did try to talk me out of? General Hospital. They didn’t think me acting in a soap opera was the greatest idea. But they know that I’ve always wanted to do a movie about the Beats, so no one tried to stop me from playing Allen Ginsberg.”

No comments: