Monday, October 25, 2010

RIP Gregory Isaacs, The Cool Ruler

Reggae star Gregory Isaacs has died at the age of 59 at his London home following a long illness, his manager has confirmed.

The prolific Jamaican singer died this morning surrounded by his family.



Isaacs, who was diagnosed with lung cancer a year ago, had been travelling around Jamaica before returning home to London this summer to spend time with his wife, Linda, and his family.

"Gregory was well-loved by everyone, his fans and his family, and he worked really hard to make sure he delivered the music they loved and enjoyed," his wife said. Two classically-trained brothers of a former girlfriend of mine used to play in the penguin-suited brass section of a reggae band that supported Gregory Isaacs on tour a couple of times, so we often used to tag along. Usually accompanied by a now well-known opinionated Mancunian TV personality, who was enjoying relationships with one of the backing singers at the time. I have an incriminating photo of myself, Gregory and said TV personality somewhere. I think I put it within the pages of a book, to keep it safe. And now I can't find it. Jah Bless, Gregory.

1 comment:

** Empress D** said...

I love his music! R.I.P!!! :-(