Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Trenton activist and Tea Party Leader Brooks cries 'cover-up' after Councilwoman Marge Caldwell-Wilson leaves city hall accident

Daryl Mikell Brooks and Marge Caldwell Wilson
TRENTON --  Community activist Daryl Brooks is crying coverup regarding a fender bender between a car driven by North Ward Councilwoman Marge Caldwell-Wilson and a police car.

The incident, described as minor by several eyewitnesses, occurred last Thursday when Caldwell-Wilson backed out of her designated City Hall parking space and into a police car parked along the curb.

Brooks chastised Caldwell-Wilson for leaving the scene and insisted that the first-term councilwoman should have been checked to see if she had been drinking.

 "We would like to know why she wasn't given a breathalyzer," Brooks said.

"A breathalyer? For God's sake. I had been at city hall since 4:30 that afternoon. I think this is over the top. I realize that Mr. Brooks likes to stir the pot. He has a right to file a complaint but this is way over the top," Caldwell-Wilson said.

The incident occurred immediately after Thursday's meeting when Caldwell-Wilson's Pontiac Solstice sports car allegedly bumped into the wheel of the police car before the councilwoman drove off.

"I got out of the car and there was no damage to my car and no damage to the police car. I waited for a short time for (Officer Mark Ice, III) to come out and then I left to grab a bite to eat. I had eaten all day and felt lightheaded. I told several people there to tell the officer I would come back if he needed me. I even gave people my number. But it was stupid of me to leave," Caldwell-Wilson said.

Caldwell-Wilson eventually received a phone call from City Council President George Muschal, instructing her to return to City Hall and to speak with Officer Ice.

Officer Ice called a sergeant who reported to City Hall prior to a police report being filed.

The report acknowledges a small indentation near the driver's side door but police could not determine if the mark had been caused from a previous incident. No tickets were issued.

"When I came out of the city council meeting, I was met by retired police officers Bill McLaughlin and Mickey Forker, plus, a security guard. They told me that Marge had backed out of her parking spot and into the police car. McLaughlin said he saw  Marge's car bump the police tire," Muschal said.

"I took a look at the vehicle and there was some damage. But the police officer could not determine if the damage was old or new. It looked old. I left but I know that Marge returned within minutes because I saw her car as I pulled away. A report was filed and that should have been the end of this. This idea that Marge should have been given a breathalyzer is ridiculous. Marge was not drunk. This is crazy," Muschal said.

Brooks, president of the Greater Trenton Tea Party, called for an immediate investigation into the "covering up" of the incident.

Brooks has scheduled a 3 p.m. press conference today to request that the Mercer County Prosecutor's Office and the New Jersey State Attorney General investigate "the cover-up."

"We believe that the Marge Caldwell Wilson's handling of the situation was totally inappropriate behavior. Furthermore, we would like to reiterate due to the position she holds that she of all people are required to follow and uphold the law at all times," Brooks said.

Brooks said that any "other citizen would have been arrested at the scene of the crime."

"Politicians don't have the right to hit another car and then just drive away. They are supposed to obey the law just like anybody else," Brooks insisted.

Brooks called for Caldwell-Wilson to "temporarily" step down from her position as city councilwoman until a "full and appropriate investigation by the Trenton police department and Mercer County prosecutor."

By LA Parker  1/26/11
© Copyright 2011 The Trentonian

No comments: