Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Cam Newton: “I See Myself Not Only as a Football Player, but as an Icon”


Whoa Chief, before you start talking about Icon status how about playing your first game?
I don’t want anyone to fail, that is a common misconception that some journalists are overly negative and pray for athletes downfall.  When I am critical of an athlete I am hoping they prove me wrong.

I want Cam Newton to succeed, but there are signs that the glamorous life might be more important than the NFL life.  Doesn’t matter how talented you are if your priorities are mixed up, you are destine to fail.
SI.com’s Peter King spoke with Auburn quarterback Cam Newton via phone this week and then tweeted a memorable quote:
“I see myself not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon,” Newton told King.
Everybody wants to be Lebron James, but here is the thing about Lebron, regardless of what you think of him personally he is a once in a generation player.

Even with Lebron, you wonder if he was a little less worried about his icon status would that even make him greater than he already is.

Winning the BCS Title and Heisman Trophy doesn’t make automatically make you an Icon.  It is a good start but winning Super Bowls and consistently being one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL makes you an Icon.
How is Newton going to be an entertainer?  Is he going to drop a single with Drake or date Rihanna?

One underrated trait of all great quarterbacks is while they are supremely confident they also have humility, that is something Cameron is sorely lacking, maybe he thinks because he and his pops got away with some things at Auburn he is untouchable.  Might want to talk to Michael Vick or Plaxico Burress about what happens when you think you can’t be touch.

Cameron seems like a nice kid and physically is extremely talented, but if I am GM or head coach and my job was on the line, I am not handing the keys to my Kia to Cameron, because he might be upset it isn’t a Maybach.

By Robert Littal.

No comments: