Friday, March 2, 2012

Chief Fed Judge Circulates Racist Joke About President Obama


Judge Richard Cebull/wikipedia

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com
 
It’s hard to imagine the chief federal judge in any district being so ignorant as to taint the bench and raise serious questions about the ability to be objective.

Well, meet Chief Judge Richard Cebull, a George W. Bush appointee to the federal bench in  Montana. Apparently he admitted Wednesday, according to press reports, to sending a racist email around that goes like this:

“A little boy said to his mother; ‘Mommy, how come I’m black and you’re white?’” the email joke reads. “His mother replied, ‘Don’t even go there Barack! From what I can remember about that party, you’re lucky you don’t bark!’” [...]

The website Think Progress Justice reported that Cebull forwarded the joke from his brother to a half dozen friends and acquaintances.

“The only reason I can explain it to you is I am not a fan of our president, but this goes beyond not being a fan,” Cebull said, according to the website. “I didn’t send it as racist, although that’s what it is. I sent it out because it’s anti-Obama.“

USA Today reported that he sent a formal apology to the President, which said:
“I sincerely and profusely apologize to you and your family for the email I forwarded. I accept full responsibility; I have no one to blame but myself. I can assure you that such action on my part will never happen again. I have requested that the Judicial Council of the Ninth Circuit review this matter. Honestly, I don’t know what else I can do. Please forgive me and, again, my most sincere apology.”

Congressman Emanuel Cleaver (D-Mo.) said in a statement: “Chief Judge Richard Cebull’s email was deplorable, shameful and inexcusable. There is no way to shroud hatred under the cloak of differences in ideals. The email was blatantly racist and filled with the hateful rhetoric this country has strived so desperately to leave behind. An apology alone is not acceptable.”

No comments: