Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Justice, American Style:Sarah Kruzan 16-Year-Old sentenced to life for killing pimp

By: Tolu Olorunda

I was browsing the web a few days ago when I ran across the following headline: “16yr old gets life in prison for killing her pimp.” Perhaps my considerable awareness of the way the internet works–Shock and Awe = Traffic–was what led to initial skepticism; but once I clicked the YouTube video link, all ambiguity vacated.



I was introduced to the story of Sarah Kruzan, 29, a female inmate in California. Filmed by the National Center for Youth Law, an advocacy group assisting her, Sarah tells in full detail her background, and the path leading up to the prison cell she resides in today.

She grew up in Riverside, California, in the home of a drug-addicted mother who frequently abused her. Nonetheless, this “over-achiever” excelled in school, making the principal’s Honor Roll consistently, running track, winning a Young Author’s Award for a book on the effects of drugs. It all seemed like the perfect Horatio Alger mythology come true, until she met a 31-year-old man, G.G.

The missing “father figure” vacuum in her life was happily filled by G.G. who would take her and her friends skating and to the mall. “G.G. was there at some times,” she says, “and he would talk to me, take me out, and give me all these lavish gifts… and then he would tell me, sex-wise, ‘you don’t need to give it up for free’.” G.G. was a skilled manipulator who knew what he wanted, and just how to get it. When Sarah turned 13, he raped her.

“He uses his manhood to hurt–like break you in,” Sarah recounts. The break-you-in allusion is a mere euphemism for prostitution. At that same age, Sarah was put on the streets, working 12-hour shifts (6P.M.-6.A.M.) for G.G. Sarah saw none of the money she worked for. “Everything was his,” she reports.

The Full Story

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you...for sharing Sarah's story with others. Sarah is one of MANY of our children who are doing LIFE without parole...what message are we sending these children? That they are no good and never will be- NO child should ever hear or live that. There is another story of Amber Rose Riley- on my blog...at 16 she faces LWOP- now 22 I have featured her twice....

In Unity,
Carol/PM

Rileyj240 said...

My heart goes out to Sarah. Young girls are so Vulnerable and such easy prey while they young abd haven't developed their wings yet. The Hurt and innocene is written all over Sarah's face. her young stolen away from her and the ones that love her. Why our system is so fast to take our young girls , when they know the truth is the older dominating males are abusive and comtroling. I know Amber Riley is my daughter, the detectives that made a easy case of it told me they knew it was not Amber;s ceime!? Well My God take the one that is guilty & lock them up & throw away the key. Amber like sarah had so many hopes and dreams, she had collage ahead and the co defendant had NO future, He had been in jail before for threating to kill somebody~ Yet no one believes Amber when she tells them" He could of killed me~ He did threaten to kill my parents if I told" Please these young girld do not desearve to grow up lie this, no future and so little past. My daughter doesnt let me see how badly she is hurting,she would never hurt me. I am hurting so badly with my daughter locked away anf threatend with LWOP if the Da has her way, Without money( which we do not have) our kids are at as much risk from our courts, and county & state authorities of losing their lives, as if her dad * I had let her play in the freeway. The puble needs to become aware of damage being dome in our courts and lock facilities to our young,especially if that young person was pure of heart when caught up in a older males crime of murder. god help our girls. Sarah I pray you will get justice and a second chance at a young girls life. Amber's mother*